About the project
Stonnington City Council is preparing a new housing strategy. The aim of the strategy is to provide a framework to guide decisions and manage Stonnington’s future housing. The strategy will look at:
- how many new dwellings are required
- what types of dwellings are needed
- where new housing should be located, and
- other issues such as what infrastructure is needed to support growth.
The housing strategy will influence the choice of housing available to current and future residents - to make sure that new housing is delivered in a way that enhances Stonnington’s character and livability.
It will also set out a plan to make sure housing meets the needs of everyone in our community, including young people, families, older people and vulnerable communities.
Developing the strategy
We are developing the strategy in stages, including two stages of community consultation:
- Issues & Opportunities: identifies issues and opportunities drawing from an analysis of population forecasts, development trends, local and State Government policy, and feedback from council officers, Councillors and State Government service providers
- Community Engagement Stage 1: informs drafting of the strategy
- Draft Housing Strategy: considers community engagement outcomes and changing State Government policy, and includes a neighbourhood character review and peer review
- Community Engagement Stage 2: community feedback sought on draft strategy
- Final Housing Strategy